COPD is the term used for a lung issue that blocks airflow as one exhales. This issue makes it increasingly difficult for one to breathe normally. COPD is usually a combination of two separate diseases:
- Chronic BronchitisMucus narrows or blocks the airways that carry air to the lungs. This happens when a damaging agent causes inflammation to the airways.
- EmphysemaThis disease causes a shortness of breath due to less air getting in and out of the lungs. This happens when a damaging agent harms the tiny air sacs in the lungs, disabling them from stretching normally and distributing air through the lungs efficiently.
Causes of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
COPD is caused by damage to the lungs over time. The most common cause of damage is smoking. Other damaging agents over time could be second hand smoke, chemical inhalation, pollution, or breathing in dust.Back to Top
A majority of COPD cases do not appear until 60 or older since this disease occurs from damage over time. The main symptoms are:
- Over-abundance of mucus (will come up when one coughs)
- Long-lasting chronic cough
- Shortness of breath
The symptoms will continue to get worse if no action is taken to help manage this. Shortness of breath will worsen until simple tasks such as getting dressed make it difficult to get enough air.Back to Top
The first step in managing COPD is to remove the damaging agent. The most important thing for a patient who smokes is to stop smoking immediately.
There are many forms of management such as inhalers and medications; however, the Houston Wellness Clinic takes an alternative aggressive approach by using specific supplements to do the following:
- Clear mucus
- Restore antioxidant defenses
- Improve lung functions
- Improve general health
By taking these steps, we will give your body what it needs to fight this disease and lessen the symptoms without prescription medications.Back to Top